Monday, October 14, 2013

TIA: This Is Africa, Weekend Scenes and an open letter to France.

  photo hluhluwe16_zps9c73f9f1.jpg
The folks and I took a drive up to Richards Bay over the weekend to go and visit the brother in his new "bachelor pad" - within four minutes of arriving, the parents were cleaning. On Friday eve the brother took us out for dinner to one of the local Richard's Bay restaurants.

Two things are amazing about this:
1. The brother taking us out: high five for little brother's having money to burn aka "first real job".
2. Local restaurants of Richard's Bay: It's spelled "Richard's Bay" but really it should be spelled "Richaaards Baaai". For those of you who are not familiar with Richard's Bay or South Africa in general - let me give you a quick catch up: Richaaaard's Baaai: land of Afrikaans tannies (aunties) wearing gold and pearls with crocheted shawls and plastic-leather wedge shoes. However, it appears that shoes are indeed optional. Restaurant menus spell words such "omellets" and malls declare that there will be absolutely "NO SCATE BOARDS". And there you have it.

  photo hluhluwe15_zps76820240.jpg

On Saturday we took a drive into Hluhluwe-iMfolozi where we had booked a night to stay. We used to live near the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi reserve when I was younger - so it was a great reminiscing trip! There is something so magical about being in the African bush. (For our honeymoon, Warr took us to Exeter Game lodge near Sabi Sands - it was INCREDIBLE! I have never seen game like I did on that trip!)

 photo hluhluwe11_zpsc6a2b4bf.jpg
 photo hluhluwe8_zpsb963810d.jpg

We stopped off at a Game Hide and spent ages watching all the birds, leguaans and terrapins  interacting and then a rhino came down for a drink -

 photo hluhluwe1_zpsbdb57743.jpg

I only had my 50mm lens with me (which is the very dumb thing to do when you are visiting a game reserve - but it was a surprise trip for me and I left our zoom lens in the UK). Most of these pics are off my dad's new Nikon Coolpix p510 - which I am actually very impressed with!

 photo hluhluwe16_zps9c73f9f1.jpg
 photo hluhluwe19_zps3f797e63.jpg
 photo hluhluwe12_zpsbc23e0e3.jpg
{Warthogs are one of my favourite creatures}

 photo hluhluwe14_zpsab866fcf.jpg
We watched this Heron catch frogs for ages -
We also watched a pair of leguaans catch frogs.

So basically, not a good day for frogs.

 photo hluhluwe18_zpsad80bb01.jpg
 photo hluhluwe13_zps97861b1e.jpg

(have gone a little "Safari brown" with this photo editing)

 photo hluhluwe7_zpsd1b8ef55.jpg  photo hluhluwe9_zps07dcf213.jpg
  photo hluhluwe5_zpse8fa061b.jpg  photo hluhluwe10_zps76aa67f3.jpg  photo hluhluwe4_zps0a5e67ea.jpg

I wasn't feeling great that afternoon during our drive so as we drove back to our lodge - I ended up lying down in the back of the car. The next thing the whole family yelped for me to wake up as we had literally turned the corner and almost driven slap bang into a cheetah who was standing on the middle of the road. It is very uncommon for us to have sighted it so close to our car and so completely lucky that we happened to be at exactly the right spot at the right time. After she ran off into the bushes - we completely lost her as they are so well camouflaged.

 photo hluhluwe17_zps0406779b.jpg

below: an indication of how close we were - 

 photo hluhluwe3_zps2b8eafd9.jpg


Then I was up the whole night vomiting and feeling terrible.
Brother thinks it may be the Richard's Bay Water.

But husband is currently in Botswana with no radio contact - 
so I'd say it's a severe case of love-sickness.

14 comments :

Dannielle @ Chic-a-DeeDee said...

I'm so jealous you were so close to a giraffe they are my faves! If you like warthogs, check out Rachel's great warthog pics http://www.withlove-rachel.com/2013/10/theres-more-to-warthogs-than-being.html

Keri Bainborough said...

You blerrie better not be preggers

Che Kershaw said...

thank you! we had such a good time! x

Mary Wallace said...

Morning Sickness????

Che Kershaw said...

hahahaha NO MARY.

Che Kershaw said...

i blerrie well am NOT. NOT without some gingers for my indieBabies to make friends with!

bodyandfeetretreat said...

Thank you for the memories you brought back for me. I am an ex South African who has been living in Australia for just on 14 years and, while I don't miss the violence and cr*p that happens in SA, I certainly miss the wildlife !!!
I loved how you wrote Richard's Bay - just is just how I remember them saying it !!! LOL
Have the best time with your family and I hope you feel better soon !
Me

Che Kershaw said...

G'day mate! haha im glad to have given you some african-reminiscing! SA is always a great place for a beautiful holiday - (provided you don't have to hang around Richards Baaaaai too long) :)
am feeling much better thank you! :)

Keri Bainborough said...

And I will wait, I will wait, for you.... ;)

Johlet said...

Oh wow nice photos! I miss the bush! Think a weekend bush trip sounds in order! :)
Ahhh well I hope you feel better soon!
xxx

Samantha said...

I live near Richard's Bay *insert Retard's Bay* and have become immune to the incredible spelling errors and overall feeling of "I can't believe I live here". Which restaurant did you go to? Great pics of the wildlife - now I want to go to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi!

Che Kershaw said...

hahaha! You should meet my brother... he also has the same feelings of "I can't believe I live here" You could totally drown your sorrows over a glass of wine - which might I add - If you go to the MUstang Pub and Grill and order "a glass of wine" - they will pour you a third of the bottle. Richards BAAAI for the win.

Samantha said...

Oooo! I love wine. Mustang Pub & Grill is now on my list.

Warrz said...

Definitely love sickness x